Sunday, June 28, 2009

Claire: Heck, yeah!

This post is in reply to Anton's question over at OurAwesomePlanet.

I started this blog, as a craft blog for crocheters everywhere. I wanted to have a place where I can let the world see the things I have done with my hands. I also wanted to have an avenue for crafters to communicate with each other. I find that no matter what country we are based in, people who craft make an instant connection. I would love to show that through my cyber home.

I also started this blog to showcase the creativity that is uniquely Filipino.

I want to show the world the artistry that can be seen in my country -- not only in fiber arts, but in general craft. I feel that the voices of our local artists are not sufficiently heard. For example, everyone in the Philippines knows of the great talent passed down from generation to generation by the sculptors in Paete. In cyberspace though, their talent has not received the attention that they deserve. Other indigenous arts like weaving (on giant looms with multicolor fibers nonetheless) may be lost to the future generations, unless people like me can somehow perpetuate them--in what better place, than in cyberspace.

I want to show the world that I care about the Filipino culture. I want to show everyone that our generation is not as apathetic as most people think. Blogging is a great way to reach a lot of people--specially the youth, and people overseas.

I want to be able to do all of these in the best way I can, in the most comprehensive way possible. And in order to do that, I have to learn more about how to capture people's attention online. I am so eager to learn!

If I make even just one person appreciate the vast talent, the inspiration, and enormous effort that local artists put into their bodies of work, I would be just thrilled. I think that it's so much easier to dole out money, than to make an active effort to consistently keep trying to enlighten other people about the beauty that is all around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? :)